Help with inheritance in semantic hierarchies
rkevans
2017-06-28 19:24:52 UTC
Hello,

Looking for help/advice on how to implement Option 1 of the 2 workarounds
offered to the problem of inheritance in semantic hierarchies as discussed
here:

https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Inheritance_in_hierarchies#The_problem

.. my system is new and so I can setup my schema's to support the
requirements of option 1

I've never used the "subsumes" and would like to ask here for advice

Given three classes: Building, Room, Spot
(each with dedicated Category, Template, and Form as made by "Create a
Class" page)

Page "MyBuilding1" is in "Category:Building" with Property:Has Building
Number=123

Page "MyRoom1" is in "Category:Room" and has Property:Belongs to
Building=MyBuilding1 along with Property:Has-Room-Number=456

Page "MySpot1" is on "Category:Spot" and has
Property:Belongs-to-Room=MyRoom1

How do I use the #SET and "Subsumes" syntax to cause MySpot1 to inherit the
properties available to both the MyRoom1 and MyBuilding1 pages...

ultimately.. I'd like to create a semantic query that finds all pages in
Category:Spot whose inherited building number is 123

I think Option 1 is very doable for me to achieve this, but I just need a
little coaching.

Who knows how to do this? :-)

As always, thanks in advance!
-Rich

rkevans
2017-06-28 20:16:07 UTC
for example. when it says:

In the same template, include something like the following

{{#set:
|Subsumes items={{FULLPAGENAME}}
|Subsumes items={{#ask: [[-Subsumes items::<q>[[Member
of::{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]</q>]]|format=list|link=none}}|+sep=,
}}

would I add this code to the Template:Spot to import all the room properties
to the new spot page when the user chooses the page value for
Property:Has-Room-Number,

... and then would I also add it to the Template:Room to import all the
building properties of the building page pointed to by the
property:Belongs-to-Building

I just need one concrete example

ty