Example workflow for using
Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
2017-06-23 16:27:21 UTC
Hello,

Is anyone able to describe the work flow process of using SemanticFormsSelect? I'm completely new to it and trying to learn from scratch. Here's my understanding of the steps to get a "hello world" SemanticFormsSelect example:

1. Create a property (myProperty1) of type "text" which only allows values: val 1, val2, val3, val4

2. Create a template (named: myTemplate1) that defines a category (named: myCategory1) and has a field (named: myField1), a display label (named: myLabel1) and uses a property (named: myProperty1) as selected from step 1.

3. Create a form (named: myForm1) that uses a template (named: myTemplate1) with Form Label (myfield1) and input type "dropdown"

4. Create a category (myCategory1) that uses a form (myForm1)

Now, when I use the form page Form:Myform1 to create a page called myData1 I get the form and it has the nice pull-down for MyField1 with the 4 options (var1, var2, var3, and var4)

What I'd like to do is replace the Selection Option of myField1 with the results of a dynamic query from Extension:Semantic_Forms_Select.

Here's my question:

Is my next step to manually edit the page Form:MyForm1 to include the semantic form select querry and function code?

Do I replace the line in myForm1:

| {{{field|myField1}}}

With something like this:

| {{{field|AllProtocols|input type=SF_Select|query=((Category:Protocol));format~list;sep~,;link~none;headers~hide;limit~500}}}

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated

Fwiw, my SMW is as follows:
* MediaWiki: 1.28.2
* SemanticMedia 2.5.2
* SemanticForms 4.1.2
* SemanticFormsSelect: 2.1.0
* PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
* MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1

Cheers!
-Rich
rkevans
2017-06-26 15:54:13 UTC
ok.. it would seem that all of the examples over at:

https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_Forms_Select_demo

are broken. Each example results in the same error, which is:

Fatal error: Class '\SFS\SemanticFormsSelect::init' not found in
/var/www/htdocs/mw/02100/w/extensions/PageForms/includes/PF_FormPrinter.php
on line 1620

is this an easy fix for a SMW site admin?

-Rich

[[kgh]]
2017-06-26 15:59:58 UTC
Heiya Rich,

this is a know issue [0] which is currently lacking a software developer
to tackle it. You need to revert back to PageForms 4.1.0 in case you
want to avoid the problem.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticFormsSelect/issues/64
rkevans
2017-06-26 16:09:41 UTC
Hi Karsten, gotcha. thanks.

I am running "Semantic Foms:4.1.2", but I'm not sure if i need to solve the
problem or not, the problem I was referring to is what I see on the actual
SMW demo site linked. That's where I see the errors. Not on my site.

That said, all i'm really looking for is some good example of how to
implement the "Forms Select" extension. Any thoughts on where to see some
actual "Forms Select" wiki code to understand it better?

-Rich

[[kgh]]
2017-06-26 16:17:47 UTC
Hi Rich,

no I cannot revert back on that site right now since I have two issues
with the Page Forms extension I have not gotten around to report yet.
However I will use the site to demonstrate publicly so ...

So far I have never used the extension so I currently cannot be of help.
I hope there are others on the list who acutally do use the extension.

Cheers Karsten
rkevans
2017-06-26 16:29:16 UTC
ok. no worries. thanks for chiming in.

is it possible for someone like yourself to get the raw wiki code for the
form page that 'should' present itself at the page:

/https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A9cial:AjouterDonn%C3%A9es/DemoStatic
/

e.g. something like a direct page page text dump from the database using a
maintenance script? I really only want to analyze the wiki text of a Forms
page that uses SFS.

(I'll also cross my fingers for someone to chime in who have used the
extension)

continued thanks.
-Rich

[[kgh]]
2017-06-26 16:36:21 UTC
Heiya Rich,

this is a special page you are referring to with no code to copy even if
it was not broken. The code is located in the forms accesssible down
that page [0]. The respective templates are specified within the "for
template" calls on the form pages.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_Forms_Select_demo
rkevans
2017-06-26 16:41:24 UTC
indeed! rock on!

the content I was looking for is right here:
https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Formulaire:DemoStatic&action=edit

(and don't i feel silly )

I'll be able to reverse engineer this now. Thank you! o7

-Rich

planetenxin
2017-06-27 08:50:22 UTC
... you can try our SFS fork

https://github.com/gesinn-it/SemanticFormsSelect

I'm currently very busy with other projects so I can not finish the Pull
Request for this. The only thing that is missing, is to undo the way of
registration (composer vs. extension.json). Technically it's working,
but not following the preferred SMW style (composer). Maybe @mwjames can
help...

/Alexander
rkevans
2017-06-27 13:01:02 UTC
Thanks Alexander,

I would be trying it now if I hadn't just been successful in updating
composer with a set of versions that are known to work well together,
namely:

"mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki": "2.5.2",
"mediawiki/page-forms":"4.1",
"mediawiki/semantic-forms-select":"2.1.0",

Maybe in a future update i'll get to use your SFS fork.

Thank you!
-Rich

[[kgh]]
2017-06-27 13:15:52 UTC
Heiya,

keeping fingers crossed for getting a pull to the main repo since I do
not think that it is very advantageous to maintain a fork for such a
specialized extension. So a toi, toi, toi for Alexander and his crew.

Cheers Karsten