text properties becoming redlined links
St-Germain, Jimmy
2017-06-08 15:03:42 UTC
Dear Mediawikites,

I came to work this morning to find some distressing changes in several articles.

All text type properties are now somehow interpreted as page properties and appear as redlined links in the articles.

What could have happened?

Has our IT dept. played with something they shouldn't have played with?

Jimmy St-Germain
Coordonnateur, Service Musique | Affaires juridiques et commerciales
8400, 2ème avenue, Montréal (Qc), Canada, H1Z 4M6
(514) 723-7646 poste 7178
jimmy.st-***@cirquedusoleil.com
[[kgh]]
2017-06-08 15:59:53 UTC
Heiya Jimmy,

well, this should be fairly easy to identify. What did they change last
night? Did they upgrade something? Did they add another extension?

Apart from that I think we get this if there is on enableSemantics call,
however I cannot imagine that they removed it out the the blue.

Cheers Karsten
St-Germain, Jimmy
2017-06-08 15:45:26 UTC
I am presently investigating and I have found some real odd things going on.

I went to the special pages page and listed all available properties. I noticed that all properties are tagged with an exclamation mark within a yellow triangle. I clicked on the icon and got the following message (translating from french, so it may not be the actual same wording in english for the same error):

No type was specified for this property (type presently selected: Page).

So this explains why all text properties now appear as page properties.

Just to be sure, I went back into the code of a few properties and, as I thought, my original text type code is still there.

Why would SMW stop recognizing the text type code?

Jimmy St-Germain
Coordinator, Music Service Department | Legal and Business Affairs
8400, 2nd avenue, Montréal (Qc), Canada, H1Z 4M6
(514) 723-7646 ext. 7178

James HK
2017-06-08 16:28:27 UTC
Hi,

Please, when reporting such issue state your SMW and MW version as it
may hint an incompatibility.

Some related tickets:

- https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues/2105
- https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/2358

Cheers
2017-06-08 16:34:52 UTC
Hi,
Post by James HK
Post by St-Germain, Jimmy
We're using MW 1.23.0 and SMW 1.9.2
You most certainly hit some of the listed tickets and it is strongly
recommended that you use a maintained version.

SMW 1.9.* is no longer maintained and may have issues in connection
with other extensions where the property namespace (and hereby the
type definition) is disrupted.

MW 1.23 is EOL and "... was supported until end of May 2017" according to [0].

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.23

Cheers
2017-06-09 17:52:55 UTC
Thanks for the tips everyone.

As a follow-up, I was in touch with our IT guys and learned they had launched a re-indexing of the database the day prior. The problem has now been corrected.

In the meanwhile, I have also asked our IT dept. to keep our versions of MW and SMW, if not totally up-to-date, at least not so far behind.

Thanks again!

2017-06-09 14:27:43 UTC
Hi Jimmy,

I just had probably the very same problem as you had - all properties
losing their type. But I know the cause: in my LocalSettings.php I
changed $wgLanguageCode from "de" to "en".
Now
[[Datentyp::Text]]
is not working any more and I have to change that to
[[Has type::Text]]
to get a property of type text!

Similar things are happening with [[Kategorie:xxx]]. I have to change
this to [[Category:xxx]] in order to make pages members of a category.

@List: Shouldn't this just work? Do you really have to change all of
these when you change the base language of the wiki?

Greetings
Hermann
James HK
2017-06-09 14:58:41 UTC
Hi,
Post by Hermann Schwärzler
@List: Shouldn't this just work? Do you really have to change all of
these when you change the base language of the wiki?
How so? The site language or better content language has a distinct
responsibility therefore changing it has equally weight on how content
is interpret. For example, numeric separators ( , vs. .) and label
identifies such as `Category` are content language dependent.

While `[[Has type:..]]` is understood and will work in any language,
using a localized identifier such as `Datentyp` will of course not
work when switching to `en` or `fr` content language.

Switching the user language [0] is a different matter and mostly
concerned with how an output can be localized. It needs to be
remembered that the content language is a reference point when storing
data and a canonical form cannot be used.
Post by Hermann Schwärzler
Do you really have to change all of
these when you change the base language of the wiki?
You decide once which language is the preferred "content" language,
switching back and forth has no merit and if done anyway then one has
to account for necessary changes content wise.

Of course, one can use the page content language to modify the content
characteristics on a per page basis without altering the common
content language.

The sandbox has some examples [1] on the very matter where content and
page content language vary.

[0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Content,_page_and_user_language
[1] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Berlin

Cheers
@List: Shouldn't this just work? Do you really have to change all of
Hermann Schwärzler
2017-06-12 08:33:25 UTC
Hi,
Post by James HK
Post by Hermann Schwärzler
@List: Shouldn't this just work? Do you really have to change all of
these when you change the base language of the wiki?
How so? The site language or better content language has a distinct
responsibility therefore changing it has equally weight on how content
is interpret. For example, numeric separators ( , vs. .) and label
identifies such as `Category` are content language dependent.
While `[[Has type:..]]` is understood and will work in any language,
using a localized identifier such as `Datentyp` will of course not
work when switching to `en` or `fr` content language.
thanks for the clarification.
What I saw was this: in a German wiki ($wgLanguageCode = "de") I could
use either e.g. "Kategorie" or "Category" as well as e.g. "Datentyp" and
"Has type".
So I was jumping to the conclusion that this will just work in an
English wiki as well. Which is wrong - for in hindsight obvious reasons. :-)

Greetings
Hermann
[...]