[Page Forms] question about how forms are displayed
f***@cbfiddle.com
2017-06-05 22:55:23 UTC
First, I am very naive about MediaWiki, so please be gentle…

I am investigating options for changing how certain forms are displayed on a Wiki that uses Page Forms.

My interest is in how the forms are displayed when viewed, not when the pages are edited or using queries. When I examine the Page Forms documentation, it seems to talk only about editing and querying.

Specifically, in a page displaying a form I find this:

I am curious to know where this style comes from.

I would also like to know if there is any way to insert a class= or id= into this element.

Thanks in advance.

Alan
Yaron Koren
2017-06-06 17:58:43 UTC
Hi Alan,

I'm guessing that that CSS comes from the form definition, i.e. from the
page whose name starts with "Form:". (If not, I don't know.)

Yes, you can add "class=" and "id=" in many places within the form
definition, and then add CSS for that class or ID in the page
MediaWiki:Common.css, or elsewhere.

-Yaron
Post by f***@cbfiddle.com
First, I am very naive about MediaWiki, so please be gentle…
I am investigating options for changing how certain forms are displayed on
a Wiki that uses Page Forms.
My interest is in how the forms are displayed when viewed, not when the
pages are edited or using queries. When I examine the Page Forms
documentation, it seems to talk only about editing and querying.
color: black; margin-bottom: 1em; margin-left: 0em; padding: 0.2em;
text-align:left;" border="0">
2017-06-06 19:47:50 UTC
The inline style is not present in the form definition. Might it come from a skin? If so, how would I find out?

I looked at the Page Forms documentation and found no option that would put a class= on the <table>, which is what I want.

I found no option for id= anywhere.

Alan
Yaron Koren
2017-06-06 20:36:23 UTC
Hi Alan,

Is all of that found in the HTML source of the form? If so, I can't imagine
where it comes from, if not from the form definition...

In any case, you can add a class or ID to the table by looking for the line
that looks like "{|", and changing it to:

{| class="myclass"

...or:

{| id="myid"

...or some such.

-Yaron
Post by Yaron Koren
Yes, you can add "class=" and "id=" in many places within the form
definition, and then add CSS for that class or ID in the page
MediaWiki:Common.css, or elsewhere.
-Yaron
Post by Yaron Koren
I am curious to know where this style comes from.
I would also like to know if there is any way to insert a class= or id=
into this element.
Post by Yaron Koren
Thanks in advance.
Alan
Post by Yaron Koren
--
WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com <
http://wikiworks.com/>
2017-06-06 22:51:30 UTC
Check out the HTML for this page: http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_Jig <http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor's_Jig>

Am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for the tip. Is there somewhere in the documentation that mentions these parameters?

Alan
Yaron Koren
2017-06-07 01:50:01 UTC
Ah - I didn't know this was on a publicly-viewable wiki; you should have
linked to it before.

This is not a form at all; it's a regular page, and that structure is
defined via a template - I believe this one (though I'm not sure because a
lot of the wiki is off-limits to non-users):

http://tunearch.org/wiki/Template:Abctune

What I wrote about setting the class and ID is not really specific to Page
Forms - that's just part of wikitext, which is a general MediaWiki feature.
Nevertheless, maybe there should be something in the PF documentation about
it.

Since you're a newbie, I'll note that you're not the first person who has
confused forms with pages that are created by forms. They have a similar
structure and somewhat similar appearance, but the way they're defined is
different.

-Yaron
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
Yes, you can add "class=" and "id=" in many places within the form
definition, and then add CSS for that class or ID in the page
MediaWiki:Common.css, or elsewhere.
Post by Yaron Koren
-Yaron
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
I am curious to know where this style comes from.
I would also like to know if there is any way to insert a class= or
id= into this element.
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
Thanks in advance.
Alan
------------------
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot <
http://sdm.link/slashdot> <http://sdm.link/slashdot <
http://sdm.link/slashdot>>
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
Post by Yaron Koren
--
WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com <
http://wikiworks.com/> <http://wikiworks.com/ <http://wikiworks.com/>>
Post by Yaron Koren
2017-06-07 02:40:10 UTC
Thank you very much. That clears up my confusion.

Given that I’m not the only one to intuit this fact, perhaps the documentation for Page Forms should say something in the overview to this effect.

Alan
Ah - I didn't know this was on a publicly-viewable wiki; you should have linked to it before.
http://tunearch.org/wiki/Template:Abctune <http://tunearch.org/wiki/Template:Abctune>
Check out the HTML for this page: http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_Jig <http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_Jig> <http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor's_Jig <http://tunearch.org/wiki/Bachelor's_Jig>>
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot <http://sdm.link/slashdot> <http://sdm.link/slashdot <http://sdm.link/slashdot>> <http://sdm.link/slashdot <http://sdm.link/slashdot> <http://sdm.link/slashdot <http://sdm.link/slashdot>>>